Do you need to sell your house? Maybe you bit off more than you can chew, and the payment is just more than you can afford. Or perhaps your family situation has changed, and you don’t need that much house any more. Or maybe you have inherited a home that you don’t need or want. Whatever the reason, you are ready to get the house on the market and off your hands.
If you don’t already have a relationship with a realtor, you will want to make appointments to interview several real estate agents. Plan to spend at least an hour with each one, asking them about their experience, how they will market your home, commission, contract length, etc. Ask for their average list-price to sales-price ratio and for references that you can call.
Once you have selected a realtor, he or she will go over the list of things for you to do in order to make the house ready to sell. This list will likely include the following items:
- Wash the windows.
- Scrub the bathrooms and kitchen.
- Dust everything, even the ceiling fans.
- Shampoo the carpets.
- Polish metal door knobs and cabinet hardware.
- Clean out the fireplace.
Declutter the home—Packed closets, oversized furniture and loaded countertops make a house and its closets look smaller.
- Clean out closets.
- Remove excess or oversized furniture.
- Put away mail, schoolwork, and papers.
- Minimize nick knacks and decorative items.
Depersonalize the house— your home needs to be a blank canvas on which buyers can visualize their own lives.
- Put away family photos.
- Remove political yard signs, plaques and anything controversial.
- Avoid excessive religious items or holiday decor
- Take down children’s artwork from the refrigerator
- Repaint dramatically colored walls to a neutral shade
Make any needed repairs:
- Fix leaking faucets.
- Patch holes in drywall.
- Tighten loose doorknobs.
- Repair broken screens and windows.
Spruce up the house’s exterior for better curb appeal
- Mow and edge the yard and do so regularly.
- Rake and bag up leaves.
- Pull weeds
- Trim trees.
- Clean out gutters
- Thoroughly clean pool (if applicable).
- Plant seasonal flowers in pots and flower beds, especially in the front yard.
- Wash dust and pollen off the front door. Polish the door knob and kickplate.
- Clean the mailbox.
Plan for showings and open houses
- Everyone will need to be gone during showings and open houses.
- Pets will need to be secured in some way for their safety.
Of course, you will need to keep the house looking spotless until you get a signed contract and the potential buyers are approved for their loan. So, keep up the dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing and tidying.
If this sounds like a lot of hard work, it is. But, you can sell your house without all this work by calling the licensed real estate brokers at SellMyHomeToday.com. We will come view your home and make you a no-obligation offer on the spot.
When you sell your home to SellMyHomeToday.com, there’s no yard work, no cleaning, no repairs, no inspections, no showings, and no hassles! And you can close in a matter of weeks! It really is that simple! Call us today at (972) 643-8320 for an appointment.